Monday, August 2, 2010

Journaling

I passed the 50 mile mark for running, which I am pretty excited about since I only started tracking the miles I run at the end of June. This morning I finished the first day of week 10 training for the Ragnar, which means I ran for 30 minutes and since I am still plugging along at a 12min mile pace I finished 2.5 miles. For a moment, when I was done, I was disappointed with myself. How come I can't run faster? How come at like minute #2 I want to quit everytime? How come I still feel like I can't do it??

When I first started this journey I knew I had to exercise at some point in order to really be healthier, so about a month into changing my diet I decided to take up bike riding. I went to Target (yes, Target) and bought the cutest bike they had for the money I wanted to spend (not a lot because I wanted to make sure biking was something I would love before spending the big bucks). The first time I rode the bike I went about a mile, just sort of riding around to get a feel for the bike. The next night I went out for a Real Ride on my bike. I took ride on a loop through my neighborhood, which was 2.5 miles long. I came back feeling good, no Great, about myself. I had gone for a bike ride and worked out. I felt accomplished and like I was on the right path. Fast forward 5 months - I went on that same 2.5 mile loop this morning, only instead of riding a bike, I used my legs and ran. I am not sharing this to point out how awesome I am but because I came home feeling like I am not doing enough. I felt like I should be able to run faster, cover more ground in my 30min run. I felt disappointed in myself and it bugged me. In 5 months I have gone from riding my bike the same distance to being able to run it. That's huge. I need to stop putting myself down. I think that is part of why I turned to food so much, thinking I wasn't worth the effort to eat healthy. I need to break the habit and that part of the purpose of this blog for me. A journal that I can look back on and remember why I started this journey and how far I have come, so I can be proud of myself and not feel stupid for being proud.

3 comments:

missy said...

That's awesome! Here's to staying active!!! I'm holding up my glass of water. :)

Heidi said...

That sounds so familiar!!! I ran (on the treadmill's hill program, no less) for 38 minutes today and was disappointed in myself, when a year and a half ago I had sworn I would never run for any reason whatsoever.

Let's cut ourselves some slack!!! We are changing our worlds, one workout at a time. (Plus, you will automatically get faster as you continue to lose weight, just b/c it's easier when you're lighter. The guy I got to know during last Nov's triathlon-- who was working his way through 200 lbs of weight loss by doing triathlons-- said that he noticed a significant difference in his speed for every 15-20 lbs he lost.)

brooke said...

No matter how many times i run, and no mater how far, I ALWAYS want to quit within the first 1-2 miles. I'm the exact same way. But then it starts to get easier and I know I could run way farther. You're doing great. It's a work in progress!