Monday, January 10, 2011

Half marathon countdown

6 days...I have 6 more days to get myself more and more nervous to run a distance that I could barely have biked a year ago. To say that I am starting to get nervous would be an understatement. I am spending all my free time reading and rereading the instructions to make sure that I really know what I am supposed to do the day of the race. I have asked my husband a bazillion times if he will go with me, to make sure he hasn't changed his mind because the idea of racing alone is scary enough, not having someone at the end of the race would be sad. I don't step out of my comfort zone very often and doing it completely alone is something I will have to work up to. I feel pretty ready for the race itself - I ran my longest distance ever 12 miles on Saturday. On a treadmill. Which is harder than outside runing for me, I think because I am constantly checking the time and how much I have left to run...it really makes the process drag on. Anyway, I am mostly nervous about being with a bunch of "real" runners and looking completely out of place, which is basically my same fear at every race so far. And really, I know some people will do that, but I just need to not care so much what other people think of me (at my last 10k I heard one group critizing what people were wearing and another group laugh at how hard one lady was breathing while running...I'm not sure why people feel the Need to judge other people).

Outside of half marathon stuff, my eating was pretty bad on saturday and Sunday but I am back on track today. For some reason I use running 12 miles as a reason I can eat more junk-not the best healthy choice for sure.

Current weight: 162.5
Lbs left to goal: 37.5 (jeez)

Calories yesterday: too many to count....
Calories so far today: 889 (breakfast and lunch)

Exercise: 2.5 mile run (rest week)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow - I'm kinda surprised to hear that people would be so negative/judgemental. I have yet to run a race - so I wouldn't know. I'm sure you'll do just fine. You ARE training for it - not just a *green* newbie who knows nothing. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Heidi said...

I haven't heard much negative judgement at my races yet-- except for one guy making fun of how a guy in the first heat was swimming. The funniest thing to me about that was that the guy was so busy making comments about the other swimmers that he missed when he was supposed to start. Karma for sure!

I'm sure everything will go fine. I so much wish that I could be there, and you know if was any time but a Sunday morning I would be there to cheer you on-- racers need support, it's part of the territory!! Anyway, I will be cheering you on at the Ragnar for sure. :-)