Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What am I Doing?

Now that it is noticeable to other people that I have lost weight I get this question a lot and the stupid thing is is that I never really have a good answer. I say something like eating better, exercising - you know standard stuff, but really it is more than that. Here is what has lead to success (so far):

  • Eating better:
    •  Keeping my calories between 1400-1700 everyday - Weighing all my food on my digital scare to make sure I am not going over a serving size
    • Eating whole grains - cutting out wheat flour (I buy/make spelt bread)
    • Cutting out processed sugar - if I bake something (i.e bread I use natural sugars: Succant, Date Sugar, Honey, etc)
    • No dairy - my body just doesn't like dairy, plus cutting out cheese really cuts out a lot of calories, this is difficult as sometimes I want to try making a healthier pizza, but cheese is just not on the menu these days
    • Nothing to drink but water & tea - No juice, no diet/regular soda, no espresso, no alcohol

  • Exercising
    • I didn't actually get serious with this until about 3 months in - I think you have to take on one major change (diet or exercise) first so that you don't get overwhelmed right away
    • Setting a goal - I decided I wanted to run a 5k and started by completing the Couch to 5k, this gave me something to stick to
    • Keep setting goals - I decided to motivate myself to keep running to sign up for a 10k and the Ragnar and so I have a set running schedule by following the Ragnar training program
    • Making sure I fit in either the exercise bike or running everyday, for at least 40 minutes minimum (I have recently kicked this up to a minimum of twice a day for at least 35min)

  • Rewarding myself:
    •  Different rewards I have given myself
      • Manicure/Pedicure
      • Nook
      • Running Shoes
      • TV for exercise area
    • Rewards to come
      • New Makeup
      • Trip to New Orleans
      • $1000 clothes shopping spree (this is my reward for maintaining my goal weight for 6 months)
These are the main things that I am doing to make sure I succeed. I have never gotten this low in weight without following a 'crash' diet and it feels awesome. I feel like I will be able to reach my goal and maintain it because I am not completely depriving myself of things I like and it feels empowering.

3 comments:

brooke said...

and you sure are doing it all the right way! i'm so proud of you, because i know how hard it is to lose weight...especially the older we get. you are amazing!

spice2116 said...

i so agree with you!! i never know what to say to people when they ask. i just say i am controlling my eating and moving more lol

good for you for narrowing it down.

Heidi said...

You are making many huge changes but doing it so successfully that I am just in awe. I like your rewards list!!!

By the way, I am officially giving you Ragnar spot #4, unless you've changed your mind. (Since you were the first to pay, you get to be the first to pick. Of course I'm assuming you don't want the positions Bill claimed-- 8 & 9. The man is a running machine!)