Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Obsessing

I am getting obsessive about my weight loss. Some would consider this a good thing, but not me. I am constantly counting my calories and checking multiple websites to determine how many calories I can eat because I don't trust just one (or two, or three...). I am exercising a minimum of an hour and 15 minutes a day and I have gone to countless websites to find out how many calories I am actually burning (and the difference from site to site is huge). My point in all of this is not to brag at how awesome I am doing (because I'm not - the 1000+ calories of cupcakes over the weekend is proof of that), my point is that I don't like how obsessive I have become about my weight. Whether I am doing good or bad on any given day - something about weight loss is consuming my mind. I am constantly checking and double checking whether I am doing good enough, or if its been a bad day, checking to see how bad the damage might be. I wake up and I am instantly excited or anxious to get on the scale and see what it says. The number on the scales consumes me - sometimes putting a damper on my entire day if I don't see the number I want to see. I would like to say that I have figured out a way to change this. To not let the scale or calories intake run my entire life. I don't know how. If I stop focusing on it so much I have this HUGE fear that I will fall back into old habits. I know the minute I stop weighing myself daily is the moment I have given up altogether. I have been here before. I am 1.5 away from my lowest weight ever because last time I got to this point something clicked and I just stopped dieting and over time gained back all 85lbs I had lost. I need to find a middle ground between caring too much and not caring at all because the obsessing is exhausting me. Any tips, thoughts, help, experience? I need it.

3 comments:

Lissy said...

I am no expert, but my advice is if you find yourself over-checking stuff compulsively - try to relax and break the habit. Pause and give yourself a little pep talk and then go do something fun to get your mind off it. I think a lot of people get into habits like that about different things - even if it's checking your e-mail constantly when there is really no reason to. It's on your mind so you naturally want to do things toward your goal. Just relax and remind yourself that you are! - that the change on a scale over one day can be off and your progress is what matters. You have accomplished something amazing and you're going to keep it up because it's making you happier! :) Love from Lissy

Heidi said...

I don't know that I have any helpful advice-- I teeter towards obsession myself every so often and Terence has to reel me back in to sanity. I think one of the big things that made a big difference to me was when I decided to be happy where I am, even if it is not at my goal weight. Then I concentrate on feeling good at my current weight.

That doesn't stop my panic attacks every time I have a really bad eating day or when I skip exercise altogether though. Then I get afraid I'm going to pack on 80 pounds and I get terrified. This is when Terence helps me immensely-- he's there to remind me that I'm not going to do that, I'm still in control, I just need to treat myself a little better (i.e. eat something healthy and maybe go for a walk). Is there someone who can back you up like that? Talk back to the voices in your head for you? (It only seems to work if it's someone you trust to really tell you the truth. Otherwise you don't believe them.)

spice2116 said...

thats a hard one because i go in phases. i like to weigh myself just so i can keep on track and no how i am doing on a daily basis. probably the biggest thing is dont beat yourself if it is a bad day.