Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Banana Bread or Salt?

So as of this morning, I have gained 2lbs. There are two reasons that could be blamed for this jump. One: I went to a alternative medicine doctor on Monday who told me my body is not hydrating even though I drink 4 (yes 4!) liters of water every day. Therefore I am now taking a salt supplement, not just regular salt, but celtic sea salt. Anyway, so my weight gain this morning could easily be my body retaining water from the salt buuuutttt, it could also be the fact that I that I bought too many bananas when I went to the store. Bananas have been a favorite around here with me and my daughter. I usually make her a smoothie in the morning using a banana, I'll eat one with my breakfast, and then we usually share one as a snack in the afternoon. That's three bananas a day so last time at the store I bought a ton. Of course that was about the time that my daughter was over them and I discovered steel cut oats for breakfast. Needless to say I had a bunch of bananas that were very ripe. (are you bored yet?) so I decided to make banana bread, for my daughter, not me. But who can resist taking a bit (or two, or three, or ten) after smelling it baking and slicing it for my daughter? I used healthier ingredients (Spelt flour, sucanat sugar) but that doesn't really lower the calorie count much. So I went over my normal calorie intake by 300 calories. In the end it was probably the salt added in my diet but the indulgence in banana bread probably didn't help matters. I am not getting off to a good start in making it to the 180's for week 4. I really need to kick it up a notch for the rest of the week.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I would think it was the salt! But you're right; neither one of those things is overly helpful. ;)

I haven't done badly this week but the scale isn't moving much. I don't think this is my week. (And I really only needed to lose 4 lbs to make the challenge.)

Heidi said...

I went and put on 3 lbs this week myself-- and I can't blame salt :-( Neither can I blame banana bread, which at least has bananas in it.