Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Having Kids = Tricky Weight Loss


This past week has been a hard week for weight loss. I am trying to make more things for my daughter to eat that are homemade that she will like. Two weeks ago, I made banana bread, last week it was pumpkin bread, and this week I made spelt bread....so far she liked all three and I feel good about giving them to her since I know what ingredients were used to make them, but I also have Really Liked Them too. I try hard to resist but when I smell things baking in the oven, of course I have to taste them when they are finished - that's just plain good quality control - but I don't stop with that, I end up wanting some everyday. Which wouldn't be a huge problem, except I haven't cut out of my regular snacks to allow for the extra bread calories because its really not super filling. So my point is, I like bread therefore I am not losing weight. Sigh.

Having kids is hard on weight loss efforts. The most weight I have ever lost was 85lbs (and I gained it all back - holy crap) and I was good at it because I lived alone, had no friends, no boyfriend, it was easy for me to stay home and cook what I could eat and not have anything in the house that was not diet friendly. I didn't think it was easy at the time but now when I look back it was WAY easier than trying to do this with people in the house who don't eat healthy. The food I get for my daughter isn't so bad, its pretty healthy, but my husband and his daughter in no way eat healthy (I try with his daughter but its hard when she grew up eating differently and her father still sets a horrible example). So I have constant temptation in my house and its rough. So I had a bad couple of weeks (again) but I am going to my darnedest to succeed this week. I am going on vacation for the weekend next week and who knows how well I will do, so I need to be super good this week.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Kids definitely complicate diets! I think my husband complicates things more though.

Amanda said...

It is difficult to lose weight when you have children. I mean, it's complicated enough as it is and then you throw that wrench into the mix. I feel you.