Thursday, May 6, 2010

Birthday Dilemma


There are two times in the year that always derail me from any diet/healthy eating that I have been successful at. The first is always Thanksgiving. I tell myself its ok to eat whatever I want because its a holiday and everyone else is eating what they want, Darn IT! Which is fine if I went back to eating better the next day but that doesn't EVER happen. I have this internal (or maybe even external) dialogue that goes something like this:

Me: Thanksgiving is over, time to go back to a healthy breakfast
MeToo: Technically since work is closed on Thursday and Friday, then Friday is still a holiday,lets go get a pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin cream cheese muffin
Me: Ok, but back to healthy eating on Monday


Of course Monday rolls around and I have completely forgotten (or chosen to ignore) any plans to get back on track. Why bother when Christmas is around the corner?

Anyway, the second time is my Birthday. My birthday has NEVER failed to derail me from healthy eating. In fact, now that I think about it there was a year that I made it through Thanksgiving and Christmas but I have never made it through my Birthday. Why is this significant? Well, I am 11 days away from my Birthday. And not just any birthday, the big 30. I am already debating with myself on whether or not to allow myself to go "off plan" for the weekend before my birthday. Part of me really feels like I have earned a little break from the constant calorie counting and limiting of certain foods, the other part of me is freaked out that I won't be able to go back on plan and I will be lost again in the hell/heaven of eating whatever food I want. I really don't have any answers yet on what I am going to do and I hate that food is still so important to me that I spend all this time mentally debating with myself on what to do. When will I be stronger than my desire for food? When will I be able to let go and not care about it?

1 comment:

Sooze said...

I feel you on this, I really do.

In fact - my birthday was five days ago. I havn't run in the past four days. I've also fallen off the wagon horrifically. I'm also not going to mention that I'm sitting here with a bag of sunchips in my lap and a box of little debbie cakes behind me. ... Ooops..

I blame it all on the birthday cake. I figured if I just ate it all I'd get rid of temptation.. and that opened the flood gates.

Try and make healthy choices - if you can allow yourself to a treat without going overboard, by all means do. Try to hang in there though.

If you should find yourself with a dusty butt from falling off that wagon though - shoot me a line. We'll get back up there together!