Monday, October 4, 2010

Clothing Dilemma

Last week I had a day of super motivation. This means I was itching to get things done in my house. I cleaned the fridge (pulled everything out and scrubbed the inside down) and tackled my closet, which was a huge undertaking. Before I got married and had to Share things, like my closet, I was pretty organized. Everything had a place and was usually put back in that place. I am not sure why having someone else in my space sort of ruined that, but it did. And it BUGGED me. Our closet was a disaster. I hated having to go in there to find clothes and even worse, it made laundry an unbearable task. I could never find enough hangers, or space for my clothes. As much as it drove me nuts I wasn't really sure how to deal with it. I had a TON of clothes in there and just not enough space.

This is why it took me a year after we moved in to organize the closet - I had to be willing to part with some of my clothes. Getting rid of bigger clothes is really hard and its even harder to admit that its because I think a big part of me thinks I am going to fail and need the big sizes again. Even now, 9 months into my journey, longer than I have ever made it, I am still afraid. But it was time to let go of that fear, to not have the crutch of bigger clothes. So if I do fall of the wagon and gain 10 lbs I won't have a bigger size on hand to wear and hopefully I will get back on track fast because I HATE buying bigger sizes. All these years and through all the diets I have always kept the bigger sizes, just in case, and I ended up using them. Not this time. I went through the closet with a vengeance and got rid of a least a third of my clothing that no longer fits. This is about a quarter of the clothes I got rid of:



Although to be perfectly honest, I did box up two boxes of bigger clothes that I might be able to wear next time I am pregnant (some maternity, some just big sizes). Therein lies the dilemma. Having these clothes saved for being pregnant one more time makes sense financially, but am I using them still as a crutch? Knowing they are in there? I'm not sure and if I ever consider breaking out that box while not pregnant I hope I have the courage to get rid of those boxes and lose the weight I have gained to fit in my regular clothes.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Get rid of the clothes. You will not be that big if you start out another pregnancy so much smaller. So those clothes won't fit you anyway. Give yourself permission to let go of the old you. Besides, I find that the next time I bring out my maternity clothes I throw out half of them because they are more hideous than I remember. If I'm gonna be pregnant, I want to feel like I look good. Congratulations on the weight loss! You look great!

Amy said...

That's kinda true. Each pregnancy I ended up buying some new clothes, and I found that the old ones didn't fit the same way because I carried the baby differently. Especially the more kids I had... and not loosing all the weight didn't help. Plus it might be a different season...