Friday, March 30, 2012

Goals and deadlines



I like to reward myself for hard work and 'good behavior', therefor almost every time I am trying to lose weight I come up with rewards. I see nothing wrong with this overall but the reward I picked this time has a deadline. I hate deadlines with weight loss. The goal I set for myself is to lose 30 pounds by September 1st for the Disneyland half marathon. The reward if I do this? Staying in the Disneyland hotel, something I have wanted to do since I was a child. I think I picked a good reward for myself, the only problem is the timeline part. Already this month I have been stressed about not losing 'enough' weight. This is no good. I do not need to start feeling down about myself if I am doing everything I should and yet the weight is not falling off. Sometimes my body has other ideas about the speed of which the weight falls off. Its not a big deal if I don't get my reward but I still have it in my head that it will be awesome to have lost 30lbs by September, if I don't make it in time, will I crash and burn and gain back weight that I have lost? Hopefully not. But I need to remember this for next time (because I will am pretty sure I will always have a weight loss goal, whether it is 50lbs, 30lbs, 5lbs or just to maintain) setting a reward/goal for a certain date is not the best idea.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Deadlines are awful for me too. I just have to take it slowly as it comes. It takes a lot of the pressure, stress and guilt out of the equation. And since I eat when I'm under pressure, stressed, or feeling guilty, it makes it a lot easier to stick with my diet if I avoid that as much as possible!

brooke said...

i know what you mean. i'm already down on myself for not having been running since my post-op date passed. it's been weeks, and have i gone running? nay.

so i want to hear more about the disneyland half marathon. sounds fun!!