Thursday, April 12, 2012

Health Check



I have been feeling out of sorts lately. Extra tired, extra depressed. I was telling myself that it would pass and it was just a phase. Telling myself that I was probably tired because I was getting up at 4am to work, never mind the fact that I was in bed by 8:30 most nights. But then running started to get hard. Really hard. I used to be able to run 3,4,5 miles without wanting to stop every 2 minutes. And then my husband sent me flowers just because and I knew I should feel that rush of happiness but nothing. I told myself it was because I don't really like flowers anymore (not true). But then the next week he came home from work with a new coach purse (for me) and I was happy about it but I didn't feel excited or super happy about it. This really bothered me. I wasn't feeling anymore. Happy, sad, excited, etc. Just a little blue all the time. These are the two things (Tired when running and lack of emotions) that got me to the doctor. I have had trouble with my thyroid in the past and wanted it checked. The two big issues I am having, tired and depressed, are symptoms of hypothyroidism. I went in for the regular physical, told the doctor that I was feeling tired and asked him to check my thyroid. I had the full blood work done and went in yesterday to get my results and I left feeling happier than I have ever left a doctors office. My thyroid is not working. I need to take medication. Which I take as a good news /bad news type of thing. I wasn't feeling right and the reason has been found and is pretty easy to fix. I would hate to have had the doctor find nothing wrong. I would not want to keep feeling like this. Also, everything else is working perfectly. Which is something I have pretty much never heard. Awesome cholesterol, kidneys, liver, everything! Two and half years ago when I started this journey I had my blood work done and I had a lot of things that were not doing so well. So, well I am not perfectly healthy with my thyroid struggling, I am in a much better place than I was when I was 75lbs ago.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Good news, Amy!! Though it's not great that your thyroid is out of whack, it's much better to find something that you can treat rather than being told "there's nothing wrong with you" when you feel like crap! I hope the meds clear everything up quickly!

Lissy said...

That is really great news, and thyroid supplement is one of the more natural medications you can be taking. I am on it for life now and doing ok. So nice to know there really is something wrong and something you can do about it and you're in good shape otherwise too! Hope you are feeling more like yourself again soon!