Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I just need to remember...

....that I feel like quitting the first 3 miles of EVERY run. Its true, I have to talk myself out of stopping for the first 3 miles. I probably sound like a big quitter but I really only talk myself out of finishing probably 1 out of every 50 runs. Lately I have been worried as I am running as to why its not easier. Why has it gotten harder? It might not be any harder physically but the mental part of it has gotten to be a challenge these days. Every time I run I feel like I can't finish because I am not strong enough, until I reach the magic three mile mark. I am not sure if that's the point that I am warmed up and my body is in the groove or if once my mind knows I can make it that far that I can make it a lot farther. I'm not sure which one it is, I just know that I need to remember that is gets better after 3 miles.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That sounds so familiar!!! Only in my case, it's something like if I make it through the first 5 minutes, I can make to 3 miles. (I'm not in the half marathon category yet.)

Here's to changing everything for 2012!

I'm frustrated with my inability to get off the baby weight. I don't seem to be going anywhere, and I know the blame falls exactly on what I'm eating. I use too many excuses to overeat or to splurge. I've been thinking about motivating myself to quit eating while I read by promising myself I can do Ragnar So Cal if I do...what do you think? It seems silly to reward myself with a race for changing my worst/hardest to break habit, but I know I'll feel guilty about spending the money to go unless I've earned it somehow. And for some reason I really want to do it!

Amy said...

I think that promising yourself with a race is a really good idea. I would Love to do the so cal ragnar with you next year, we just need to be able to find a team (which I think we will be able to - I have two facebook friends who are looking for socal ragnar runners to fill up their teams this year, so we should have no problem next year) Anyhoo, if that motivates you then promise yourself that. I am going to try to do the vegas one, so if you are up for another desert ragnar you could do that with me too (I am limiting myself to the ones I can drive too, thus the desert)